Bruno Mars - Unorthodox Jukebox


I can't stop giggling all day today. My best-yet-so-old pal Dimas, introduced me to Unorthodox Jukebox. What's that?. It's Bruno Mars' new album. For one and two seconds,  I was like..."really,D?. Bruno Mars??. Me???." I never judged Bruno is bad or terrible or anything worse. It's just...I am not his devoted listeners. I admitted he's good. He brings something new, colourful yet he is a talented guy. I listened his songs for once or twice but that's it. I didn't buy his first album while all my friends couldn't stop babbling of how his songs were so sweet and mellow and blablabla. I was not one of his fans!.

Until today, on our way looking for my lost wallet-slash-planner, D passed his earphone to me and made me listen to a song I've never heard before. I like the lyrics and so I told him that. He was smiling like an ignorant boy. I was listening to the voice and trying to recognize the singer. When I surprised to find out and turned to him, he was burst into divine laugh. Yeah, dude...you got me. 

Compared to Doo-Wops & HooligansUnorthodox Jukebox is way brilliant and grown up. Why?. Because Bruno put synthy '80s influence in it. I must say this album is a complete package. We got pop, soul, rock, funk, reggae and not to mention Hip Hop and R&B. Literally jukebox, rite?. 



The first song that I listen was Locked Out of Heaven. It refresh my memory of Message In The Bottle by The Police, though I can feel a bit of Michael Jackson's Beat It vibe. Does it matter if it's very similar?. NO. Hahaha. I praised Mars' smooth vocals in this song. Enuff said. Let's move forward to Treasure. This one is actually my favourite song on this album. When I listen to this song, I compared the album with Wham! or Phoenix or even Prince, which knows that a flirt beats a bleat any day.  Oh, there's a lot of swearing and sex stuffs here. His huge Prince-inspired slow jam Gorilla leads the way, as you might imagine, with a f-wording and mf-wording and “You and me baby makin’ love like gorillas.” This may not be your cup of herbal tea, but that doesn’t really matter to Bruno Mars this time around.

All in all, this is a truly accomplished pop album. It's fresh even with some vulgar lyrical content but it's a fair trade off. Good job, Bruno!


0 comments: